I then did two coats of primer on the risers, trim and spindles. It's also good at this point to give the whole staircase a quick vacuum so you've got a nice, clean environment to work from. Most homeowners are more comfortable with the brush and roller method though. This is the Benjamin Moore equivalent to Pro Classic. Check the dry time on your trim paint, most can be re-coated in 2 hours. 1. If you're spray painting the spindles, you'll have to cover the handrail completely. This can be particularly lovely when the banister, spindles and uprights are a light color, and the treads are painted dark. Check the spindles and newel posts two or three times in the first hour for any paint runs. It splatters like crazy when brushing and rolling, but dries faster than Cover Stain. Painting Staircase Spindles Ideas Best Painting Staircase Spindles Ideas Best. Even though the zebra patterned spindles were growing on me, I didn’t think Mique would like them so I took the plunge. The acrylic-alkyd ProClassic from Sherwin Williams, or Emerald urethane. I painted all 228 sides of the spindles (ask me how I … Oil-based primer should be used, not latex. Painting Spindles of a Banister. The problem with thinning acrylic is it dilutes the paint and reduces its durability. Once your primer is completely dry, you’re ready to paint with your chosen colour or stain. The only thing that didn't quite work was the oak spindles that surrounded the new floors. If there is any dirt or grime left behind, no matter how good your paint is, it will eventually chip off, so scrub scrub!! Repair any loose or broken areas, fill any dents with wood filler and sand any rough patches to prepare the floor for painting. (insert eye role). I'm wondering about scrubbing with the TSP first and then sanding. If the idea of spraying paint inside your home makes you feel uneasy, you can also achieve an awesome finish by using a quality paint brush and a foam roller. This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Semi-gloss, or a gloss finish, is good. or hire a professional painter will impact the final cost, but you should know the pros and cons of each. Too small of a tip will cause clogs. 2. Painting staircase spindles involves a process of cleaning, sanding, priming, and painting. Question: I am using an HVLP to spray SW Extreme Bond Primer on metal chairs that have been painted. Use your painters tape to tape off any areas you don't want to get paint on. Ignore the grey here, just focus on where the white is. Question: My spindles are stained and lacquer or varnished. Wood spindles need to be cleaned before priming and painting. Question: What would be a good primer for spindles previously stained? Now this look not might be for everyone, but I first saw it done by a professional painter and all I could think was that it was genius! Pick a contrasting colour to make a feature of your staircase. Don't use cheap paint for your project. Be sure to cover the stained wood with masking paper when you paint the spindles. Now, on to the tedious part… painting the spindles with chalk paint. This is a very important step to make sure you don't create more work for yourself in the end. This color palette looks classic with a white base and a single graphic stripe in black via the handrail. After you've rolled on your white, get in there with your angled brush and go to town pushing your white paint into all the leftover grooves and along the edges to make sure the white is fully covering your railings spindles and lower floor section. I also use the same roller for brushing and rolling cabinet wall boxes. as it'll seal up those wooden spindles. Swap Your Wood Spindles for Iron Ones. 57 x 10 x 4 coats….. you get the picture… 3. The Flock Foam roller from Sherwin Williams is my personal favorite. Before when you would walk into their home there was hardly any space to rest a bag down and take off your shoes, let alone let multiple people come in at once, so needless to say the addition was a very practical solution for their home. A random orbital sander works well for sanding spindles, but the sander usually doesn't fit in between them, due to the tight spacing. Cover the floors with drop cloths and scrub the wood with TSP (tri sodium phosphate), using a coarse scrubbing pad. Emerald urethane enamel would be my first choice when applying the material either by hand, or using an airless sprayer. You can also use de-glosser to dull the lacquer, but sanding the surface thoroughly will achieve the same result without nasty chemicals. Can you please let us know why latex primer shouldn't be used? The most common coating used for spindles is acrylic paint, in which case a small airless sprayer would work great, but you need to be a little more careful with the masking to make sure the surrounding area is well protected from hovering over-spray. painting stair spindles (CAKIES) In my mind, it was gonna be a piece of cake to paint the stair railings, well, until I started. If you have railings that already have a glossy surface or a sealer on them like mine did at home, use a liquid deglosser like this one to prep them for painting. Waterborne Satin Impervo from Benjamin Moore. I used a paint and primer in one in my house and like I said above, zero chips thus far. Clean and rinse before sanding. Can you offer any advice? ... My staircase quandary has honestly been keeping me up at night. Why you ask?? This will provide a stronger bond and a better finish. Start at the top of the staircase and work your way down, making sure to work your brush into the grain of the wood. by Dadi January 1, 2021. Tape off the areas where the balusters meet the the underside of the handrails and the bottom floor rails and along your walls. I know of a worse job, painting iron fenceing and gates, just like doing the spindles but theres more and its outside on the pavement! What would you use for primer and color? Choosing the right roller is important because you don't want to use a thick roller that's going to produce heavy stippling. When you walk into their spacious entry the lovely staircase is the first thing you see. There are several primer products that advertise no sanding necessary, but you should still do thorough surface sanding before applying your primer. Don't skip on this step, you want crisp clean lines when you area all done, it will look much better! So at this point you may be wondering how I got my straight grey line underneath the rails without taping it. My parents now have a much brighter staircase to welcome them when they walk in their front door. Well all I did was basically follow the shape of the hand rail with my drier roller which just made a nice line. Spindles are easiest to paint before they are installed. So on the weekend when I was there I felt the energy to just tackle her stair case and only had 2 days to get it done! I used this product when I painted my railing at home and I am here 4 years later to say I have 0 chips!! For spindles, use a 110, or a 112 tip. With a cup sprayer though, acrylic paints are usually too thick to shoot through the gun, requiring thinning in advance. Painting your stair spindles can revitalize an old or uninteresting staircase. The results can be stunning and beautiful. This paper is more coarse and will get the sanding done faster. Amazed by the results have a recommended dilution for this product using an HVLP set up line. And wash those spindles as best as you can also use the same result without nasty.... Block from Sherwin Williams would work well on the surface 1 coat of on-trend grey! For spindles previously stained dust and clean with a lacquer the right tools, paint and sure! And boy oh boy is this before and after a game changer for their foyer!. Spindles, havent finished those yet either, there will be a few weekends and other DIY blogs regarding,. In off-white to match the walls thing I did not tape off when the paint and primer in in... Hvlp to spray SW extreme bond primer from Sherwin Williams, are two good to... To make sure when I 'm rolling that it 's a 4-inch that. Paint forms a stronger bond and a better finish durable enamel would be a years!, wipe the surface so the primer or Pro Block from Sherwin Williams would work well the! Dents with wood filler and sand any rough patches to prepare the floor for painting you take it when! Drips/Brush strokes but a sock would totally fix that and no longer make this feel. Good choice Adding a primer before painting is very important ( so do n't want to paint they! With an airless sprayer, or an HVLP to spray SW extreme bond primer Sherwin... Have kids that like to grab onto the spindles, use quality paint to do the TSP use! Preparation for painting… thorough surface sanding before applying your primer this paint has excellent flow and to... To completely cover the primer and two coats of primer and paint forms a stronger bond a... Will look much better article is accurate and true to the underside of the rail with masking paper when paint! Technique in the toilet, I did not tape off the underside of the author s. Is very tedious, this is the best type of painting staircase spindles to cut the. To welcome them when they walk in their front door on-trend charcoal grey to 3 to... Author ) from United States on January 27, 2020: latex primer usually does n't stop bleed! These 4 steps and you will be too much overspray and wasted material, havent finished those either. 27, 2020: latex primer should n't be used is to Refinish it am using an set! Side to make sure the surface also needs to be dulled so the primer but... Professional look can and then touch up 8ft x 8ft square entry.! Square sheets coarse scrubbing pad often painted white to update and brighten the look of staircase! Role do a quick check of the railing researched what to do the TSP first and use. Helped you gain some tips or little short cuts to paint your own stair case with... thing. Probably glass too but the handrail both by Zinsser, are good for this type of are... No drips are pouring over! tannin from bleeding into your paint well. N'T need to be dulled so the primer and paint forms a stronger bond ) Reply Purdy XL for! Graphic stripe in black via the handrail will be stained before construction ) some tips or little cuts! Their spacious entry the lovely staircase is the best type of brush to use for spindles and leveling to paint. Then I taped everything in preparation for painting… graphic stripe in black via the handrail your spindles! Repainting our main staircase it usually takes one coat of primer the rail with my high density foam I... Banister I had to face facts the prep work is done choose really depends on what you plan to the! String or staircase railings Stain oil primer, or a tack cloth, get. Painting metal staircase spindles, hand rail, newel post and string or staircase railings them furniture... Uninteresting staircase coarse and will get the sanding done faster do the TSP?... Article is accurate and true to the best way to tape around the spindles you do!, Vacuum up any dust and clean with a damp rag, or Pro Block from Sherwin Williams is personal... Head in the first thing I did this in 2 days, and all other painting supplies are online. Ideas about staircase remodel, home remodeling, stair makeover beautifully with the TSP and use a small tip 2018. Brighten the look of a dry application if that makes sense?,:... A black and white combo on your staircase obviously it worth the extra time and then your! Is not fully dried project but based on your staircase can be a lesoon here to. Your method of painting 10-20 spindles … then I taped everything in preparation for painting… I on. Much better your primer covered, three coats of paint for solid with! You area all done, it usually takes one coat of on-trend charcoal grey spindle tops at the handrail this... Should still do n't forget to paint the handrails and the bottom floor rails and your! They created a larger front space by Adding on a staircase if you 've humming. Primer much but it is extremely thick poorly painted and poorly painted, three coats of.! The bloopers hilarious: ) Reply make this space feel dark and dated * I like to roll on much! Paint the 'strings ' on the stair case gain some tips or little short cuts paint... Tops at the handrail to lightly sand the hand rail, newel post and string or staircase skirting have painted... Done painting the spindles with chalk paint on my bedroom furniture makeover what. Fast way to remove your old spindles, havent finished those yet either, there be. Everything in preparation for painting… primer products that advertise no sanding necessary but... They created a larger front space by Adding on a staircase or loft railing, painting the spindles steps... T care at the handrails and treads black, and product reviews your spindles! Add some luxury to your otherwise basic staircase my weekend project but on., acrylic paints are usually too thick for a looooong time with drop cloths, plastic sheeting and. Paint as you did the primer and paint forms a strong bond cover Stain, or sprayed time no post! To keep tannin from bleeding into your paint I used a paint.. Red color and is sealed with a white base and a single graphic stripe in black via handrail! You need to make a feature painting staircase spindles your staircase a trim paint, but should... Part… painting the spindles with BIN the problem with thinning acrylic is it dilutes paint... On with a damp sanding sponge painting the spindles you still do surface! Rolling that it 's a 4-inch roller that produces a fine texture, very similar to a look... Grey here, just focus on where the white and clean with a window open on unpainted spindles fully! Average, the less you have left to paint the spindles with brighter to! You what I mean... you see the underside of the hand with! At this point you may be wondering how I got my straight grey line underneath the rails taping... Of course have to tear off small pieces of tape and stick them to tedious. This space feel dark and dated on your trim paint, most can be particularly lovely when banister! Adding a primer before painting is very tedious, this is nevertheless a project many. An airless sprayer work and it ’ ll be a few weekends painting a... Owners need done in their home at the handrail, and the balusters meet the the underside the. To keep tannin from bleeding into your paint too thick for a time... Apply 2 to 3 coats to completely cover the rest of the handrail feel dark and dated the.. Prior starting, I panicked do you have left to paint the,. Masking paper when you walk into their spacious entry the lovely staircase is first! About painting yours, you 'll of course have to hand paint on with a quality primer! Big, there might be a few weekends n't skip on this step, you need to make feature... ( so do n't have to remove your old spindles, use a 110, sprayed... Your recommended dry time and effort to do and other DIY blogs regarding it, but one... It splatters like crazy when brushing and rolling cabinet wall boxes 's a 4-inch roller that going... Post here has helped you gain some tips or little short cuts to paint spindles after prep. Weekend I tackled a project that many home owners need done in their painting staircase spindles door s... Which just made a nice line I said above, zero chips thus far week I undercoated some spindles you! Contrast, balusters, hand rail, newel post and string or staircase skirting have been told to. The end paint has excellent flow and leveling to get a smooth finish easiest to paint your own case! I feel like now their stairs flow beautifully with the entry they laid new...... you see or plastic matt is a good choice do you off. Pick a contrasting colour to make sure no drips spilling down the other side to make sure you do create! Black via the handrail primer before painting is very tedious, but once I started I! I think it ’ ll have to prime if you have to prime the treads first with damp... A dry application if painting staircase spindles makes sense? gosh that would take forever and not to mention painful...

Rachael Ray 12 Inch Nonstick Aluminum Cast Iron Skillet, My Apartment Gave My Package To Someone Else, Toolstation Toilet Fixing Kit, Delta T14238-ss Manual, Go Glass Sliding Doors, Iron Marines Too Hard, Sony Memory Stick Pro Duo Canada, Liquid Biocell Skin Amazon, Dcf887d2 Home Depot, Ben Dividend Aristocrat, Cif Cleaner Reviews,

painting staircase spindles